This is the latests dress I've made for Dress A Girl Around the World... a simple t-shirt dress.
I purchased both fabrics at an Op (thrift) Shop, so I'm not sure what they are. The floral appears to be a cotton, but maybe cotton with a little polyester. It's quite thin, so I lined it with the underskirt, which I'm guessing is a poly/cotton. I just love this fabric and I suppose it's a pity to hide most of it, but I do like the way it just peeks out from under the skirt.
The t-shirt is one I had lying around, but hadn't used. Looking at it now, I think it must have been a boys' t-shirt, as it looks very wide. In fact, I think the dress is way too wide. The t-shirt is a size 2 and I based the skirt measurements on the Fabric Needs When Making a Dress chart over at Sew Delightful. These measurements are for pillowcase dresses. To work out the measurements for the length of a t-shirt dress, the cut t-shirt length + the skirt length = the length of the pillowcase dress. I've double checked and the length is correct for a size 2.
Given how wide the t-shirt is, I probably could have just lengthened the skirt, but it was too late when I realised. The picture below shows the dress how I think it should look. I've just bunched it up. Perhaps I could sew ribbons at the side seams to tie into a bow at the back. Do you have any other suggestions as to what I could do?
Sometimes when I make a t-shirt dress, the seam between the t-shirt and the skirt sits beautifully, but other times, it puckers as in this one. I've never been able to work out what's different between the dresses. I've tried doing a straight stitch and a very small zig zag stitch, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Looking back now, I'm thinking it may be in the quality of the t-shirts.
Since making this dress, I've found a tip to prevent the puckering. Karen, from Dress A Girl Around the World - VA, shows how to use iron on interfacing to overcome the problem, in her Best T-shirt Dress tutorial. Thank you, Karen!!! I will definitely be using interfacing next time. Karen has also constructed her dress with pleats, another variation I'd like to try.
The t-shirt dress above, made almost a year ago, sits well, even though it was before I knew about the interfacing tip. If you'd like to know how I constructed this dress, there's a tutorial starting with painting the t-shirt and showing how to make the gathered t-shirt dress.
The little size 2 dress is the 7th dress towards my goal, sewing for Dress A Girl Around the World. Once I decide on what to do about the width, I'll send if off to the Australian rep for Dress A Girl.