This little treasure bag is quick to sew and can be made from scraps of material. It is not lined, so I have used French seams to keep it tidy.
- 2 pieces 16cm x 4.5cm - contrast colour for inside top of the bag
- 2 pieces 13cm x 3cm - contrast colour for the drawstring casing
- 2 pieces of cord 34cm
Right sides together, sew the contrast to the main colour. I used a 6mm seam and finished with a zig zag stitch. Finger press the seam to the top and topstitch 3mm from the seam.
|Sew contrast to main colour...|
|Topstitch 3mm from the seam...|
Sew the front and back together using French seams:
- With wrong sides together, sew the front to the back at the bottom with a 3mm seam.
- Trim any loose threads.
- Turn the material so that the right sides are together.
- Finger press and sew a 6mm seam
- Open to the right side
|Step 1: sew wrong sides together...|
|Step 4: sew right sides together...|
Repeat Steps 1 to 5 for both the side seams.
|Step 1: sew side seams...|
|Step 2: trim loose threads...|
Hem the top of the bag:
- Sew a zig zag stitch around the top edge of the bag on the contrast.
- Finger press a 6mm hem and stitch.
- Turn so the contrast is on the inside and finger press
- Stitch near the bottom of the hem.
|Steps 1 & 2: zig zag and hem...|
|Step 4: hem...|
- Turn the bag right side out.
- Stitch a fine zig zag around the four edges of the casing. I sometimes do the zig zag twice.
- Turn the short ends under twice, finger press and stitch twice.
- Turn the long edges under 6mm once and finger press.
- Measure 1.5cm from the top of the bag and pin the casing.
- Tack the long edges by hand and remove pins.
- Run two rows of stitching along the long edges.
|Step 2: zig zag around the edge...|
|Step 3: hem the ends...|
|Step 6: tack by hand...|
|Step 7: stitch twice along long edges...|
- If the cord will fray, put sticky tape around one end and attach a safety pin.
- Thread the first cord through both casings.
- Thread the second cord through both casings.
- Knot the ends of each cord.
|Step 1: attach sticky tape & safety pin|
|Thread the 2nd cord...|
There you have it; a quick, easy little project.