Fast forward a few weeks and along came Adrianne's Quilt Block Challenge, over at Happy Hour Projects. Of course I wanted to enter, so I had to narrow down my ideas to just one. I've decided on a quilt that will feature much loved, but outgrown clothes and belongings from a little one in my family.
Here's my first block, using fabric from a well worn, little dress and a much used wall hanging. It's not a traditional quilting block, as I haven't pieced anything. The flowers are appliquéd to the background with double sided fusible webbing. You can see tutorials and tips I've written showing how to appliqué here, here and here.
Although the flowers are the same basic shape as on two previous projects: the Retro Flower Power Pillow and my Solids Only Tote, the finished effects on all three projects are totally different.
After being so pleased with the fabric painting on my t-shirt dress, I'd thought I'd give it a go on this quilt block and have a bit of fun.
I was a little hesitant to begin with, as, unlike with sewing, my trusty seam ripper wasn't going to help with any mistakes. Quite surprisingly, I really enjoyed doing this little bit of painting.
I'm not totally sure what the finished quilt will look like. My first thoughts were to make a rag quilt, then I could have shown you how this block will be quilted. I'm aiming to follow the lines of the petals, as I did in my Petal Pocket Pillow. One day I will make a rag quilt, but not this time, as I think the blocks would be too large (12" x 12") and the design is wrong. So you'll just have to imagine the quilted lines.
I've already bought the backing fabric; a beautiful design in mauves and purples with dragonflies. Now to sort through bags of clothes and decide on how the blocks will look. I'm not totally sure where I'm headed, but I do know there will be at least one dresden plate.
Head on over to the link up to see the other quilt blocks entered in the challenge.