Capes 4 Kids Australia donates super powered capes to little superheroes undergoing treatments or procedures in hospital. The capes are sewn by volunteers and sent to hospitals across Australia.
I can only imagine how scary it must be for a young child who ends up in hospital, whether as a one off, or for ongoing treatment. Anything that helps them is a good thing, in my books.
For the time being, I've just sewn one cape, and sent it off to Capes 4 Kids, via the Handmade Cooperative. To sew more capes for this wonderful charity, I'll need to register.
The trademarked cape pattern provided by Capes 4 Kids Australia is solely for the use of all the Capes 4 Kids Australia team, and is the only pattern that can be used when sewing for them.
|Superhero cape donated to Capes 4 Kids Australia|
Most little kids, sick or not, love dress up costumes, and superhero capes are an easy one to make.
I last made superhero capes as Christmas presents a few years ago and they have been well used. One side was shiny curtain fabric, with an appliquéd star. Unfortunately, that pattern doesn't seem to be in existence anymore.
|One of the Christmas curtain fabric capes - NOT for Capes 4 Kids Australia|
If you would like to make a cape for your little superhero, I've found some free tutorials which may be of help.
- Superhero Cape - pattern and tutorial - Thread Riding Hood
- Superhero Logos - Photokapi
- Superhero Cape - pattern, tutorial and logos - GYCT Designs
- Reversible Superhero Cape - tutorial - Hideous, Dreadful, Stinky
- The Super Cape - template and tutorial - Serving Pink Lemonade
- Superhero Cape - tutorial - Crazy Little Projects
- No Sew Superhero Cape - tutorial - Racks and Mooby
- Superhero Cape - tutorial - Vintage Gets Crafty
- Superhero Cape for a Toy - pattern and tutorial - Swoodson Says
- Superhero Cape - tutorial - How Does She
- Sparkly Superhero Cape - tutorial - Little Button Diaries
- Reversible Superhero Capes - tutorial, pattern and symbols - The Geeky Mormon
Do you have a favourite superhero cape pattern or tutorial?