Finally, I have made a project pinned to my Pinterest boards. Actually, I have used two tutorials that I have pinned:
Quite some time ago, I purchased a packet of trimmings from Umbrella Prints, with the intention of entering a project in the Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition. Unfortunately I didn't make the deadline, mainly because I started my project quite late on the night it was due.
Pictured above is my packet of trimmings: 100% organic cotton fabric and hemp/cotton fabric.
This was my first time attempting crazy patchwork and I'm rather pleased with the results. The solid coloured fabric is quilting cotton I added when I ran out of trimmings from the packet. To tie it in, I've added three rows of simple running stitches.
Both tutorials were comprehensive and easy to follow, with lots of photos to accompany the step by step instructions.
The crazy patchwork is made by sewing the pieces onto fabric. The tutorial suggested calico, but I just used a quilting cotton. Because I forgot to trim the crazy patchwork as I sewed, the front of the pouch didn't need any interfacing or batting.
For the back, I've just sandwiched thin batting in between two layers of quilting cotton and then quilted with random lines.
I've lost my walking foot. I know where it was BEFORE I recently tidied my sewing room... LOL!!! Consequently, I used my regular presser foot, which resulted in a couple of puckers. This didn't matter, as that side became the inside, which was covered with the lining.
I am absolutely thrilled with how this zippered pouch turned out!!! In fact, it's my favourite one I've ever made. There's just something about the crazy patchwork and the combination of fabrics that really appeals.
Having said that, this little pouch is nowhere near perfect. Keeping it real at Threading My Way, here are my mistakes...
When doing the crazy patchwork, I cheated a couple of times, and turned a hem when I ran out of fabric. I've machine stitched to secure.
After the pouch was completely finished, I discovered a small unfinished edge, that was not sewn at all. Fortunately, it's on the bottom and I've hand sewn using a blanket stitch and hopefully it won't fray.
No need to explain the puckering near the zip. Also, if you look closely at the topstitching, you will see the stitching is not even. This is because I didn't trim as I was doing the patchwork and the different thicknesses in the fabric, resulted in uneven stitch lengths.
How on earth I managed to misalign the seams, I'll never know. All that was required, was to match up the exterior and the lining seams. Oh well; I'll pay better attention to that step next time.
It's funny how something with several mistakes can still turn out to be (in my mind), a very successful and rewarding project.
This zippered pouch is a birthday present, so unfortunately, not for me. I am, however, going to purchase another pack of Umbrella Prints trimmings, in the same colours, to make another one which will be for me. I do hope the recipient loves this one as much as I do.
The open wide zippered pouch will be joining the 100+ projects in the Purses, Pouches and Clutches collection, here at Threading My Way.
Head on over to Pinterest and have a look at the amazing projects that were entered into this year's Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition.