This month I'm taking part in the Fab Folds Challenge, hosted by Rikka, from Ricochet and Away. The challenge, this month, is to sew something that incorporates either pleats, pintucks or smocking.
Earlier this month, I refashioned a man's shirt into a little girl's skirt. The front of the shirt featured rows of pintucks in different coloured threads. This really appealed to me, so I thought I'd try pintucks on a skirt for the challenge.
Although I'd never sewn pintucks, I knew what they were, I could see the process in my head and I was fairly sure they'd be easy to sew. A quick Google search confirmed this.
Yes, they were easy to sew, but they were not as easy to measure as I'd thought. I often eyeball things when I'm sewing, but pintucks require accuracy and eyeballing produced wonky pintucks, that were not equidistant. Thankfully, this was very obvious when I was just at the pinning stage. Once I did the Maths using rulers, everything fell into place.
It's a little hard to see, due to the fullness in the skirt, but I've done ten rows of pintucks in alternating light and dark blue threads, with the same on the back. Initially, I made the pintucks 1/8", but decided I wanted them even smaller, so I went with 1/16", to give the look I was after.
And here's the back view.
This would have to be the earliest I have ever finished a challenge. Normally, I change my mind a million times, procrastinate and end up finishing at the 11th hour, but this time I've finished half way through the month!!!
If you would like to join the challenge, it's not too late. All the details are on the Fab Folds Challenge home page. There's a Pinterest board for inspiration and an active discussion group.
Thanks, Rikka, for hosting yet another fun challenge!!!
I'm linking my pintucked skirt up to Wendy's Learn A New Technique Linky and to our Skirts for Girls Link Party. I took step by step photos, so stay tuned for a tutorial...
Edited to add: To answer a question as to how time consuming this skirt was to make, the pintucks were very time consuming. Making the pintucks took as long as everything else involved in making the rest of the skirt, for several reasons:
- It was my first time making pintucks.
- Doing the Maths initially to know how much the pintucks would take off the width of the fabric.
- Deciding on the width between the pintucks. I tried MANY variations till I was happy.
- Deciding on the size of the pintucks.
- Working out a way that was easy to mark the pintucks and make sure they were lined up and squared on the fabric.
- Because the pintucks ended up in the middle of the skirt and I was using coloured thread, I didn't want to backstitch to secure the thread, so I threaded all the ends to the back of the fabric, knotted them, then threaded them through the pintuck to hide them. This part took for ever!!!
Next time I'll be much faster and there will definitely be a next time. I'm hooked.