Thursday, 1 March 2012
During February, I joined in with Kristy, over at Hopeful Threads, sewing bibs for Love Without Boundaries. During April, the Cleft Surgery Team, from Love Without Boundaries, will be operating on 50 or more orphaned babies. After the operation, the babies need bibs.
This is my small contribution... 10 little bibs made using the Liberty Baby Bibs tutorial by The Purl Bee. For the front, I've used cotton fabric with children's prints: five bibs from the jungle print, one bib from the numbers print and four bibs from the teddy bear fabric. I should note the fabric names before I cut the selvedges off, but I forgot. The gorgeous jungle print was part of a prize I won last year, over at Create HOPE Designs and donated by Hopeful Threads.
The pattern called for terry towelling as the backing fabric. As I didn't have any terry, I've used a pre loved cotton baby blanket. It's quite thick, but still soft and will be very absorbent.
The backing on the bibs is meant to be larger than the front, so that it shows at the neckline. Perhaps I cut mine larger than the pattern intended, but the backing shows all the way around my bibs. I quite like the effect. If I'd used a pattern where the front and back had been the same size, the bibs would have been much faster to sew. After turning and topstitching the bibs didn't sit as flat as I would have liked. I think this had something to do with the front and back being different sizes. A quick iron fixed this, though.
As you can see, there is no fastening for the bibs. I only had black velcro, and didn't want to spoil the bibs with the wrong colour, so I'm waiting on a trip to the shops to buy white velcro to finish them off.
Cara, from Cara's Quilts, is hosting a Basic Charity Challenge. These bibs are my contribution to the challenge.
A quick and easy project, using small pieces of fabric, a pre loved baby blanket and a tiny little bit of my time...