At the beginning of this month, I wrote a post sharing my thoughts and progress on decluttering. Since then, I've been working my way through various parts of the house.
I knew cleaning out my sewing room wouldn't be easy. My rather large stash continues to grow, no matter how much I sew. Even if I don't like fabric, I tend to keep is, because you never know when that piece of fabric might come in handy, even if it's just as a practice piece.
The photo above shows the top of my IKEA bookcase, with bags balanced precariously. I rarely use anything from the bags and boxes, as it takes quite a bit of effort to unpack and pack again. A bit like the kitchen pantry, there should only be one layer up on top of that shelf.
The pile of things behind my sewing machine are recent works in progress, or projects kitted up ready to start. Not only does it look messy, it's not a good solution either.
While we're at it, I thought I'd show you my ironing board cover - a sheet pinned over onto the old cover. I really do need to get more organised. Seriously, it couldn't take me more than an hour to make a new cover. The ironing board tends to live in my sewing room, not that I iron much, but it makes great storage. Yep - gotta change that, too.
Today I went through almost every box, basket and storage area in my sewing room. The photo above shows the resulting pile that will be making it's way to the Op Shop. It's not a huge amount of fabric, but it's more than I can usually manage. There's at least two Michael Miller fabrics in there - don't care who manufactured them, I don't like them and will never use them. The rest is a mixed bag of poly/cottons, quilting cottons, flannelette and fabrics that are just plain fugly.
As I sorted through, I rearranged to try and maximise the space, without creating too many hiding spots. Yes, I know, I won't be able to find anything for a while, till I get used to the new functions of each spot.
And this is my sewing desk now. Only the bits and pieces of my current project (library bags), are out on my table. All my kitted projects and works in progress and now contained in two baskets. Theoretically, I'll now be able to pull out the baskets and easily get to them.
I didn't get the top of the IKEA shelves down to one layer, but it's a start. Two of those bags contain cushion inserts. I'm an impulsive sewist, and like to have everything on hand when I decide to start a project. That's fine for small items such as thread, zippers and interfacing, etc, but not practical for larger items like cushion inserts. Who knows if they'll even be the right size when I get to them.
At least it's more manageable now!!! Next time I cull, I know I'll find it easier.
This is the view from my sewing room. As I sit at my computer desk, I can see this wonderful picture by slightly turning my head to the left. Not bad, is it?
Both my sewing and computer desks are from IKEA. They're quite deep and allow for storage underneath. The filing cabinets are also from IKEA and they work well.
The plastic blanket cubes hold most of my refashioning stash. Originally they were jam packed and it was quite hard to reposition the top one after looking for something. A couple of months ago I culled it to one and a half. I'm determined to either sew, or give away more. I think a third filing cabinet would work better.
There's another filing cabinet under my sewing desk, as well as two laundry hampers, where I keep batting and polyester filling. I have to admit I didn't go through them today, but I need to, as I'm not totally sure what else is in there.
Rolls of interfacing, calico, etc are kept in a cane basket. It's not a perfect solution, but it works OK.
There are no quilted wall hangings or sewing items on my walls. There's not a lot of wall space, but what there is, is covered with photos, photos and more photos, as well as other sentimental items.
Metal IKEA noticeboards, above both my computer and sewing desks, have photos, etc, attached with magnets, so I can readily swap them out. In reality, I don't change them often.
To the left of my computer desk, is a 36" tall frame. It originally belonged to one of the kids and contained a poster. When said child no longer wanted it, they put it in the bin, from whence I rescued it, many moons ago.
Out came the poster and with a bit of a clean, the frame was a good as new. I spent hours and hours creating the collage. Photos from when Mr TMW and I started going out together are at the bottom. Above that, our wedding photos, leading on to photos of the addition of each of our three kids.
This was in the days before digital cameras. Each photo was cut out with scissors and stuck on with double sided sticky tape. Yes, a huge project, but one which I LOVE - lots of memories!!!
When I need a break from sewing or working on my computer, I can often be found just staring at sentimental items on my walls. Everything means something special to me...
... whether it be something made for and given to me by one of the kids...
... or a signed photograph of my all time favourite performer.
My sewing room is one of my happy places. It's not magazine perfect with lots of light and white furniture, but it has a great deal of character and is just the way I want it - well, it will be when I reduce the stash a little more. Mr TMW often comes in to just look at the things on the walls, and talk to me, of course - good memories for both of us.
I'll keep you updated on my decluttering progress. It really is a good feeling getting rid of unnecessary items. Makes me feel more organised!