I've finished my 5th quilt and I'm super thrilled with how it's turned out!!! Not only do I love how it looks, but I can see, oh, so much progress in the construction of this quilt.
My inspiration came from Cluck Cluck Sew's Strip and Flip Baby Quilt tutorial. I just loved Allison's quilt as soon as I first saw it. The design looked as if it would be relatively easy to piece and it was.
At 47" x 78", my quilt is much larger and instead of cutting strips of fabric, I used a jelly roll - Barcelona, by Zen Chic for Moda, so my strips are slightly wider. Choosing a jelly roll definitely took all the hard work out of co-ordinating fabrics.
The backing fabric - White Ground Sunflower - was kindly supplied by Wholeport. Being 59" wide, there was no need to piece fabrics to make it the required size and it co-ordinates so well with the front of the quilt.
The quilt label, hand written with a fabric marker, is stitched into the binding on two sides and hand sewn on the other two sides. It wasn't until I was taking photos, that I realised I'd made a mistake with the positioning of the label - it's upside down. Next time I'll remember to look at the direction of the fabric.
I've gone with vertical straight line quilting, roughly 6/8" apart, for the flipped strip, the sashing and the borders, while the bulk of the quilt has horizontal lines. On one side of the strip the lines are 1/4" apart, and on the other side of the strip 1/2". I could say this was a design decision, but there was a gap of a few days between quilting each side, and I simply forgot. I do rather like the effect, though.
The other thing I'm really happy with, is my progress with basting. This time I went down to my daughter's place, as she has more floor space. This allowed me to move around the outside of the quilt, without having to crawl on the quilt. I also took my time, taping the backing to the carpet and carefully placing the batting and quilt top, before pinning.
It's not noticeable in the photos, but my stitching is not even in places, especially after turning some corners. The places where the stitches are longer or shorter, is consistent across the quilt. I'm assuming the shorter stitches were caused by the weight of the quilt when not supported properly. Why the stitches are longer in places I have no idea. It was particularly noticeable after turning some, but not all corners. If you can shed some light on this issue, I'd love you to leave a comment.
One of my taller friends helped with the photos by holding the quilt for me. We're shorties in our household. While over at my friend's place, I didn't notice any of the uneven stitching. I was extremely proud to show her my quilt.
This time I chose to finish the binding by hand stitching. Although the stitching took a long time, it does make for a very neat and even appearance.
Initially, I began this quilt in response to the Springwood Winmalee Bushfire Quilt Appeal. Unfortunately I didn't make the March deadline. Although disappointed at the time, it turned out OK, as there were actually more quilts made than could be donated at the time. And so I packed away the quilt top, knowing that I would find the right person to give it to, at some time in the future
On hearing that one of my relatives had recently been hospitalised, I thought a quilt would be the perfect way to wish her a speedy recovery.
After sewing the quilt top, I wrote a progress post, also asking readers their opinions on how to press quilt seams; open or to the side. I learnt so much from the responses that were written. I count myself as very lucky, to be learning to quilt in this day and age, with such encouraging and helpful people.