I did it!!! I finished all the sewing for my handmade Christmas. A couple of planned items were substituted with another less time consuming to make item, but everyone in my family received at least one handmade gift.
This is the art caddy I made for one of the little people in the family, using a pattern by Virginia Lindsay, from Gingercake. I was thrilled with how this turned out, even though I cut the number fabric with the wrong orientation for the front and back panels.
I had originally cut this art caddy out about 18 months ago. On quickly reading the pattern, it seemed rather difficult and so was put to the side. When I finally dug it out last week, it came together surprisingly quickly. Perhaps that was because I had a deadline to meet.
I deviated from the instructions with the cardboard like interfacing and inserted it at an earlier stage than suggested, thus eliminating one step in the process. It doesn't seem to have mattered, as it stands up by itself and is very sturdy. I also changed the handles. Instead of grosgrain ribbon, I made handles the same way I make them in my Little Shopper Totes, just adding an inch to the length.
The art caddy ended up a little larger than I had imagined and this necessitated a quick dash to the shops at the last minute, for a few extra supplies. The little recipient had to carry it with both hands, as it ended up quite heavy once filled with all the craft items I had bought. She was happy with her present and that meant I was happy.