As well as using fabric from my stash, I decided to upcycle this gorgeous, little dress which no longer fits. Teamed with denim, I think it will make a great little bag. Here's how I did it.
- the dress above which is made from stretch material
- denim offcuts from the bottom of some aprons
- lining material from my stash
- button, ric rac and ribbon from my stash
It was hard to make the first cut. If I made a mistake, I couldn't get the dress back. I took a deep breath and I was away.
- Cut off the sleeves.
- Trim below the sleeve line to create a nice line.
- Cut off the bodice, leaving enough to sew a seam above the frill.
- Sew denim to both the top of the dress and the bottom
- Sew side seams.
- Sew the bottom of the bag.
I know the seams are hidden, but I can't help myself. I have to neaten the edges.
- Sewing from the outside topstitch all seams where the denim joins the stretch material.
- Turn the seams towards the denim before topstitching.
At this point I decided the denim at the top was too wide and so I narrowed it. The outside of the bag is done, so now to the lining.
- Sew the denim to the top of each piece of lining.
- Sew front to back along the side seams.
- Sew the bottom leaving a gap to turn the bag later.
That's the lining done, now to do the handle/strap.
- Cut three strips from each sleeve, making six strips in total.
- Pair the strips and join.
- Cut off excess seam to avoid bulk.
- Plait the strips.
- Sew across each end to secure.
Because it's made from stretch material, the strap would be too stretchy, so I backed the plaited strap with a denim handle.
- Cut a strip of denim.
- Fold like bias.
The plait was too bulky to stitch to the denim. I suppose I could have hand stitched, but it looks and functions OK without. Now to put it all together.
- Leave the lining right sides together.
- The outside of the bag should have wrong sides together.
- Attach the strap to the outside of the bag at the side seams.
- The plaited side of the strap will be closest to the bag.
- Place the lining over the outside of the bag, with the strap sandwiched between.
- Line up the top edges and stitch.
It is VERY bulky sewing over the straps, but my machine handled it.
- Turn the bag through the gap that is left in the lining.
- Sew the gap closed.
- Topstitch along the top of the bag.
- Make a flower with left over scraps, plus some ric rac and ribbon.
- Tie a few more scraps to keep the plait and the denim handle together.
There you have it; a dress made into a bag.
I am very pleased with the end result! To top it off, everything was from my stash, so the dollar cost was nothing.
During September, I've also made the following projects using only materials from my stash:
So, did I make it the whole month without buying any fabric? I won a $25 fabric voucher, but I only ordered online two days ago. By the time the fabric arrives from the other side of the world, it will be October. So I figure that doesn't count. However, I must own up, I did purchase fabric to make my Retro Pillow during September. My Retro Pillow, however, isn't counting towards my entry in Stashbusting September, so that should be OK, especially given the amount of fabric I've used from my stash.
I'm glad I signed up for Stashbusting September. It has most definitely made me use what I already have and has stopped me impulse buying fabric. I stopped myself ducking into fabric shops on several occasions. Quite an achievement for me!!!
Pop on over to the T-Shirt Diaries and have a look at the other entries.