Late last year, I sewed my first ever item for an animal - joey pouches for injured Australian wildlife. These little pouches were super easy to sew, and making them has used up some of my flannelette stash.
Joeys are often thought to be the young of kangaroos, and they are, BUT all baby marsupials are referred to as joeys. Marsupials are mammals that carry their babies in a pouch outside their bodies.
Sorry to all the cat and dog lovers out there - I am not an animal person. The only pets I've ever owned were guinea pigs, and that was a very short phase when I had them in one of my classrooms. I did own chooks for a while there, too, but only for the eggs. I most definitely didn't see them as an animal to interact with.
Ha, ha... I know I'm in the minority!!!
Whilst I wouldn't necessarily want to hold, or even touch baby marsupials, I do think they are cute, not to mention an integral part of our natural environment. And I do believe it is vitally important that we look after our wildlife.
So when Sewing for Charity Australia put out the call for joey pouches in support of Wildcare Australia (Facebook), I jumped at the chance to help. The pouches are simple rectangles with the French seams on the outside, so the little joeys can't chew on them. I made the 6" x 8" size, suitable for gliders that have been orphaned.
I'd love to show you some cute pictures of joeys in pouches, but you'll have to follow the links.
There are a lot of wildlife organisations within Australia that look after injured and orphaned joeys. Many of them rely on donations of sewn and knitted items to help in looking after the animals. Each organisation has different requirements so it is probably best to contact them before sewing anything to ascertain the specifics of the design and whether they have a need at the moment.
- Making Pouches for Orphaned Joeys ~ WIRES
- Joey Pouch Liners ~ International Fund for Animal Welfare
- Joey Pouches & Pouch Liners ~ Wildlife Victoria
- Sew What for Wildlife ~ McCormick Centre for the Environment
- Kangaroo & Wallaby Pouches ~ Kangaloola Wildlife Shelter
- How to Sew Pouches ~ Macedon Ranges Wildlife Network
- Making Possum / Wallaby Joey Pouches ~ WIRES
- Possum & Joey Pouches ~ RSPCA
- Hanging Joey Bags ~ Long Grass Nature Reserve
- Wildlife in Need of Care ~ WINC
Tell me what items you have sewn items for animals, whether they be pets or wildlife?