Today I've been making t-shirt yarn. It's so cool!!! From one t-shirt you get yards and yards of continuous yarn. And it doesn't take long to do.
I followed Artistic Endeavours 101's Let's Make Jersey Yarn From a T-shirt tutorial. When Brooke added her tutorial to the Sewing with Stretch Fabric link party, here at Threading My Way, I was fascinated. What a fabulous way to reuse pre-loved t-shirts.
What I didn't realise, was precisely how much yarn you get from one t-shirt. Each ball of yarn is from just one garment - two black skeins from two of Mr TMW's t-shirts that I rescued from the rag bag. And the white ones are from three singlets.
My yarn didn't curl as Brooke's did. I'm guessing that has something to do with the type of fabric. I'm certain it won't matter when I make something with it.
You would think that I would have had a project in mind before I made the t-shirt yarn, but, no, I didn't. And so I went searching to see what I could make. Seems like there's heaps of uses for t-shirt yarn, or tarn, as I saw it referred to. Here's a few of the projects I came across...
- Tarnation Rectangle Rug Pattern
- T-shirt Latch Hook Rug Tutorial
- How to Make a Carpet with Trapillo
- Weaving with T-shirt Yarn
- DIY Crocheted Baskets
- T-shirt Yarn Crocheted into Bath Rug
- Make a Rag Rug From Old T-shirts
- T-shirt Yarn Macrame Puppets
- Use T-shirt Yarn to Crochet a Basket
- T-shirt Yarn Crochet Rug
- Waldorf Lamb Pattern
- Christmas Ornament From Old T-shirts
- Crocheted T-shirt Yarn Rug
- Crocheted T-shirt Yarn Basket
- Knitted Bag Tutorial
- Dog Toy
- Crochet Bangle
- T-shirt Basket Tutorial
- Easy Knit Summer Bracelets
- Rainbow Rug from T-shirt Yarn
- How to Make a Crochet Rug
- T-shirt Basket Pattern
- Crochet Stool Cover Pattern
- Chunky Crochet Storage Tubs Pattern
- Braided Belt Tutorial
- Reusable T-shirt Yarn Duster
- Shaggy Bag with Lining Tutorial
- T-shirt Yarn Braided Coasters
I'm leaning towards making a crocheted rug with my five balls of t-shirt yarn. Not sure that black and white will fit with my colour scheme. I think the addition of some blues would make it work. Ha, ha... where can I find a couple of blue t-shirts? Mr TMW might just need locks on his wardrobe.
Have you ever made something from t-shirt yarn?
If you think others would benefit from reading this post, feel free to share on social media.